BTC is a diverse Buddhist temple in the historic Uptown neighborhood of Chicago. Visit on Sundays at 11 am for weekly English service (guide for newcomers here), explore our educational classes, meditate on Thursdays & Sundays, and drop in on our many cultural offerings and events. Check the Calendar for regularly scheduled classes and our Facebook page for recent updates. Everyone is welcome. Directions and parking info are at the bottom of the page.
The summer Educational Center schedule is available here.
Join the new Aikido group! Beginners welcome. Classes are free and are held on Sundays from 5 pm to 7 pm. Click here for more information.
2018 Special Events (dates subject to change)
- Saturday, August 11 – Bon Odori (Japanese folk dancing, practices at 7:30 pm on 7/31, 8/2, 8/7, & 8/9)
- Sunday, August 12 – Obon (annual memorial) service & luncheon
- Sunday, September 2 – Temple closed due to Eastern Buddhist League Conference
- Sunday, October 14 – Temple’s 74th Anniversary service & luncheon
- Sunday, November 18 – Ho-on-ko (Shinran’s memorial) service & luncheon
- Sunday, December 16 – Mochi-tsuki (rice cake pounding)
- First Sunday of every month – Shotsuki Hoyo (monthly memorial service). Note: In September, it will be the second Sunday. The temple is closed on September 2.
Photos from visitors, temple members, and Sam Lee Photo