BTC is a diverse Buddhist temple in the historic Uptown neighborhood of Chicago. Visit on Sundays at 11 am for weekly English service (guide for newcomers here), explore our educational classes, meditate on Thursdays & Sundays, and drop in on our many cultural offerings and events. Check the Calendar for regularly classes and look on the right side of the page for our Facebook page. Everyone is welcome. Directions, map, and parking info are at the bottom of the page.
New Aikido group! Classes are free and are held on Sundays from 5 pm to 7 pm. Click here for more information. Note that class for April 1 is canceled.
2018 Special Events (dates subject to change)
- First Sunday of every month – Shotsuki Hoyo (monthly memorial service). Note: In September, it will be the second Sunday. The temple is closed on September 2.
- Sunday, April 8 – Hana Matsuri (the Buddha’s birthday) service & luncheon
- Sunday, June 17 – Natsu Matsuri (summer festival & temple fundraiser)
- Saturday, August 11 – Bon Odori (Japanese folk dancing, practices at 7:30 pm on 7/31, 8/2, 8/7, & 8/9)
- Sunday, August 12 – Obon (annual memorial) service & luncheon
- Sunday, September 2 – Temple closed due to Eastern Buddhist League Conference
- Sunday, October 14 – Temple’s 74th Anniversary service & luncheon
- Sunday, November 18 – Ho-on-ko (Shinran’s memorial) service & luncheon
- Sunday, December 16 – Mochi-tsuki (rice cake pounding)
Photos from visitors, temple members, and Sam Lee Photo