BTC is a diverse Buddhist temple in the historic Uptown neighborhood of Chicago. Visit on Sundays at 11 am for weekly English service (guide for newcomers here), explore our educational classes, meditate on Thursdays & Sundays, and drop in on our many cultural offerings and events. Check the Calendar for regularly scheduled classes and our Facebook page for recent updates. Everyone is welcome. Directions and parking info are at the bottom of the page.
BTC recently recorded a chant as part of the Prayer project by artist James Webb. The recording will be part of the exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago and includes recordings of prayers from dozens of faiths and spiritual groups in the host city, in this case, Chicago. This is the tenth version of this installation and the largest to date. Visit this Art Institute page for more information. Click here to listen to the BTC chant.
- The summer Educational Center schedule is available here.
- 2018 Special Events (dates subject to change):
- Sunday, November 18 – Ho-on-ko (Shinran’s memorial) service & luncheon
- Sunday, December 16 – Mochi-tsuki (rice cake pounding)
- First Sunday of every month – Shotsuki Hoyo (monthly memorial service). Note: In September, it will be the second Sunday. The temple is closed on September 2.
Photos from visitors, temple members, and Sam Lee Photo